Can we really afford Souza?

Now that Rogic and Bitton have departed, It’s left a gap in midfield that needs to be filled.
A name that keeps cropping up is Vinicius Souza, as much as he would be a great addition, can we really afford him.
We’ve already spent £17 million in transfers, so can we afford the so-called asking price of £8 million for Souza or do we look around for a cheaper option, If there is a more affordable option out there I’m sure Ange will find him.

1 Like

I very much doubt that £8m is the expected fee for Lommel . It may be what they wish for but would settle for less. I’ve read elsewhere £4.5m would be accepted. Until we test the water with a bid we’ll never know, anyway it’s Ange’s call, he may not even be interested in the guy. This is yet another meedja driven story. Whatever happens I’ll wait until the white smoke appears over Lennoxtown. I’ve already got my wishes, CCV & Jota on permanent deals :blush:

Hail Hail

2 Likes

As you say, we don’t even know if Celtic is even interested in this guy, agree with you about Jota and CCV, also Bernabei as well, brilliant news.
:four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

He’s certainly an interesting addition, our first Argentinian signing, hopefully he’ll work out and there’ll be many more. Ange and the club continue to break into new markets and avoid the bloated European market when possible. It’s all good :blush:

Hail Hail

1 Like

If we do pay this amount it would set the team up for 3-4 years. They’re wouldn’t need to be many (if any) additional outlays for a while.

2 Likes

You’re right, but imo we can still do with another defender as well, but if Souza did sign for Celtic it would as you say, set us up for a few years, because from what I’ve seen of him he looks a class act.

1 Like

IMHO there will be a new central defender, regardless of Souza coming or not. I had hoped for Itakura but I’m convinced that there will be one. Julien seems to have read the situation and knows it’s time to go, personally I’m disappointed that Ange doesn’t like the look of him. With Julien’s wages freed up we should be expecting a decent level of signing. Could we be about to see another Ange surprise signing ? Hope so.

Hail Hail

1 Like

I actually prefer Julien to Starfelt, but that only my opinion, before Julien got injured he was playing really well but when he came back from injury unfortunately for him the team was playing really well and the defence was settled and the best in the league, so he just couldn’t get into the team.
So I do feel sorry for him because I think he really likes being at Celtic.

2 Likes

I would rather see Scott Robertson get a chance this Summer and see how he goes.
He’s been retained at Celtic despite coming off of an injury that seen his Loan at Crewe cut short.
Others have been moved on so Ange and the Club obviously think he’s got something about him.
He’s definitely got the ability so fingers crossed he makes it.

2 Likes

I agree re Julien, I’d prefer him to stay and see if he can forge a partnership with Welsh or Robertson to give us an alternative to CCV / Starfelt and to bring the youngsters on. Maybe alternate for League Cup games early rounds of Scottish Cup. But I think Ange is settled on the present duo and it’s hard to argue against that.

Hail Hail

1 Like

Exactly right, and that’s why Julien couldn’t get back in the team, because the partnership of CCV and Starfelt is so strong, which makes them a very formidable defensive duo, and that’s what made them the best defensive partnership in the league by a country mile.

1 Like

Jullien gets bullied by smaller forwards and don’t understand because he’s 6 ft 6 or 7 and built like a barn door but i would still keep him and MacCarthy under a good pre-season could be good for us also but the signings of CCV and Jota were the ones i was waiting for. Hail Hail.

2 Likes

Robertson is a Midfielder bud :+1:t3:
I agree on Jullien I think he’s a much better option than Starfelt in Europe.
He gives me the fear

2 Likes

I think on reflection perhaps we’ve been too hard regarding Starfelt and how he’s played since arriving at Celtic, OK when he arrived he did put in a few shall we say shaky performances.
What we need to look at here is that some players take much longer to settle down than others,
that’s possibly what’s happened in his case, but he has imho come on leaps and bounds since then.
The question is, will he be found out in European competition.
Ange trusts him, and I trust Ange, but Is that enough? Only time will tell.

He had an indifferent start,responded better as the Season progressed but I’m afraid still has several flaws in his game that could well cost us at Champions League level.
Last 3 games of the Season he inexplicably under no apparent pressure passed a ball directly to oncoming attackers in all 3 games.
Do that in Scotland you may well get way with it but at CL level you will be punished.
Secondly he gives away too many free kicks in dangerous areas attempting to win balls he’s left himself in no position to win.
Do that in the CL then you have players who will punish you within range.
These are basics at this level that a player of his standard should have ironed out by this point in his development.
He needs eradicate theses issues or we need to get better in.

All this talk about buying midfielders? What are McCarthy Ideguchi thinking only been there 1 season, surley worthy replacements for Rogic and Bitton if considered NOT then sell them on O’Riley is the natural replacement for Rogic