English fans pining for Celtic after European Super League nonsense

Originally published at: English fans pining for Celtic after European Super League nonsense - 67 Hail Hail

Many English supporters suddenly seem to want both Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League after the latest nonsense surrounding the European Super League. The controversial ESL is being battered from pillar to post from all angles. A joint announcement last night from 12 founder clubs stated their intention to form the new competition. This…

1 Like

Covid has brought forward major changes to football. Most professional sports have major leagues where the best players are paid large sums. Problem with football is too many average journeymen footballers are paid too much. How many people want to pay to watch Brighton v Burnley etc. Fifa and uefa and their blazers have milked football for too long. Threatening to ban players from international football is what these top clubs want. Why pay a player 500k a week for him to get injured playing for somebody else. Like it or not football is changing and the mega clubs have the power and money to start their own leagues. What is needed now is a pyramid system that allows middle ranking clubs to aspire to the major leagues.

1 Like

What do you make of this Euro Super League Stephen? Do you think too many are going a bit OTT over it?

It was always on the horizon David covid had just speeded up the change. Sky and satellite TV paying huge sums to clubs and leagues was the beginning of the end of football as we knew it. All professional sports have there top 5% who get paid fortunes why is football different. This allows for football clubs to cut their cloth accordingly and not to be chasing the pot of gold all the time. As long as there is a pyramid system that allows well run clubs to aspire to the super leagues fans wont need to take out bank loans to follow their clubs. This super league is no worse than fifa or uefa competitions MONEY HAS ALWAYS BEEN KING.

1 Like

I’m new on here lads, don’t know if this has been said already but would I be correct in thinking that ESL would not have to adhere to FFP rules HH

Welcome Ally you are probably right about not having fair play rules but your talking about clubs owned by country’s/ billionaires / hedge funds. Even today these clubs getaway with bending these rules because they employ the best accountants and lawyers. There will still be national leagues but clubs in these leagues will not not have to go into massive debt to achieve e the impossible.

Cheers mate. IMO it’s sheer arrogance, to do this without consulting with fans groups, manager and players. Also been thinking about players and contracts. The players are registered with the FA. and would be null and void if they broke FA rules. Players could be free to either stay or leave. Just an idea.

Liverpool utd City fans and the rest may say they are against new league but they will pay to watch their club play against over top clubs. The Fa Uefa and Fifa don’t pay the players wages so registration will be bypassed currently its the same clubs who come through champs league group stage every season because they have the most .money and best players. In effect there already is a super league in Europe and in most national leagues. Football clubs could get their finances on even keel by not trying to compete financially with these mega clubs.

Welcome AllyBhoy67, great to hear a new voice on the forum :slight_smile:

Cheers mate. Too many forums are anti Sevco rather than pro Celtic. Does my head in. Love talking about our club with likeminded folk. HH

3 Likes

Fair point mate, I’ll tell you something it will be better to watch than the current EPL. It’s declined rapidly over the past 2 or 3 years. Used to be buzzing for Super Sunday. Not any more. Should change the name to Average Sunday or Adequate Sunday.

Too many of the games are about not losing and survival Ally. With regards to super Sunday I hate listening to Jamie Carragher they should just dress him up in shell suit and be done with it !

That grating accent does my nut in, reminds me of somebody else :joy:

All depends on your age Ally to understand joke during the 1980’s scousers all wore shell suits and had perm/frizzy haircuts. Sourness stood out had haircut shell suit but talked more posh lol.

On the Liverpool thing … many older Hoops fans may enjoy the tag “Dirty Dozen” being applied to the 12 wannabe breakaway clubs including ot course Liverpool. In late 1967 Liverpudlian Jimmy Tarbuck made the cheap shot about Jock Stein and the Celtic XI after the Montevideo fiasco, blithely ignoring what Racing Club had perpetrated in the two previous encounters at Hampden and in Buenos Aires. Many of us never forgave him for that.

I remember mate only just.
Who was the comedian that said ‘you do though don’t you though’ in a thick scouse accent