John Kennedy addresses impending Celtic squad overhaul

Originally published at: John Kennedy addresses impending Celtic squad overhaul - 67 Hail Hail

Celtic interim manager John Kennedy has addressed the prospect of a heavy summer turnaround of players at the club. Given the performance of some at Ibrox yesterday, you’d be forgiven for thinking some of them have one foot out of the door already. Kennedy was asked whether he has concerns about their commitment and training…

We let them off the hook by under investing and if they get into a similar position we’ve been in as the old adage goes, they won’t take their foot off our next. It’s shocking the way we’ve capitulated and if you were to ask am I worried about the next couple of years the answer would be yes. HH

We have been in worse situation back in 1994. This time we have financial muscle to hit back instantly. Altough it should never had to be this way. You think our team are performing badly now back in early 90’s we had a team of journeymen footballers backed up by the genius of mcstay and leadership of big Roy with a goalkeeper called Muggleton (well named) and two ex British squaddies on the bench.

Kennedy shouldn’t be discussing anything. He should be out the door already and things can’t improve until he goes . His team selection and tactics are one and the same as Lennons. Nothing has changed. For God’s sake go and let our team begin to recover.

1 Like

Where do we go from here? Quad treb , 9iar…
The season died before a ball was kicked in anger.
We witnessed some great times making history.
This is a pivotal time for Celtic .
Next season is THE biggest one , make no mistake , Champions league entry is a catapult which will separate the clubs financially by millions , as to who wins the title in ‘22 . We MUST win this one , we have to create a league winning squad or the years ahead will be blue. I hope our new Dof , manager etc get the cash req’d on this major overhaul and get Celtic back in gear. The fact we’re even in this state is just crazy , the disappointment of the season has left a bitter taste , we can only be excited by the new regime and look forward to getting our supporters back in ( just in time for the theme music…)

1 Like

The biggest surprise for me is that everyone appears to be surprised. You did not have to be a genius to see this coming, it is the Chief Execs job to maintain sustainability by planning ahead, we talk about players not trying because they are on the way out the door, big surprise, this happens in management too and the chief culprit is Lawell. Any business must live by the 6 Ps principle; Proper Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance, it appears Lawell and co have not heard of this. They created the perfect storm; they knew certain players would be leaving to go to pastures new and they knew some players were running out of contract but they still brought in 4 loanees and did some panic of 3 unknown and untried players. Is this proper management? Their main objective is to maintain a stable and profitable product (yes, football is a business and it is only a good business if you keep the customers (aka supporters) happy). Bringing in as many loanees is wasting money, they are not assets that can be sold on to recover the outlay. So now all they have to do is find a decent manager and give him a treasure chest to go out and find about a dozen good players willing to come to Celtic, Simples!

1 Like

Totally agree we never should’ve been in this position. Reg. DOF and Management we need them now in don’t care if we blow the rest of this season getting it right for next. UCL is a must so if we don’t get someone in til June it’s only 8 or 9 weeks til the qualifying ties. Not anywhere near long enough to bring in players while cutting off the dead wood and get formation and tactics drummed into them.

Aye. Next year is massive, pivotal, for the future of the club. If the board gets this wrong it’ll be a decade in the wilderness.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if we lost the league after the split (or at least fought all season) as theRangers have shown improvement. I still would’ve been devastated of course. It was the sheer capitulation of it all that surprised me.

Makes me sick to think about it. I have been critical of the board and rightly so IMO. Neil Lennon took some serious stick and again it was due. But the biggest factor in our downfall has been the players. You have to remember it’s almost the same squad that dominated Scottish football for the last few years. Obviously Lennon saw them in training and picked what he thought was the best team and on match days they’ve downed tools.

1 Like

Aye. Where was the team that beat those fascists home and away last year?! Sucking that the whole squad played so poorly.

The players have been poor and not interested. Scandalous for professional players but their poor form is down to poor coaching and management. Quite a few of these players had been in the same situation with poor form and lacking motivation/fitness until BR and his backroom staff came. There appeared to be a downward slide in performances for a few months before Roger’s left ( players must have seen Roger’s losing interest ) but then a rapid loss of form there after. We got away with it last year because of Damian Duff. We are were we are because of an accountant running team affairs.