The Celtic managerial hunt thread!

Following on from some of the great posts here: Next stop, Celtic? A look at David Wagner and Dan Petrescu, I thought I’d make a catch-all discussion thread for all the managerial speculation, ideas, dreams, woes, thoughts and rumours.

I think I’ve made it quite clear on the site my top two choices are Diego Martinez of Granada and Jindrich Trpisovsky - thought both may be out of our reach now. I think they are on the cusp of what we can realistically expect to bring into the club.

But we need an ambitious, up and coming manager, not some of these big names we keep being linked to.

3 Likes

Putting all this conversation in one place is a 1000 IQ idea.

1 Like

i find it strange that David Moyes has not been mentioned after his remarkable turn around at West Ham.
He has had big jobs handled big players and been very shrewd and good in the transfer market.
where i think his brother was a top agent in over seas players.
He has never won anything in England or really sampled big European nights as a boss. Financially he does not need money thanks to Man Utd so maybe he might wont to end his career with a challenge at the club where it all started for him before its too late to get that chance.

There is many good managers that celtic could afford financially from european teams but because of the mess we find ourselves in paying Benitez to come in for a 2 year term to overhaul the playing/coaching would not be a gamble. The coaches mentioned on the threads are good coaches but they would be gambles who would need time to turn things around which we have not got. This is an opportunity for DD to make a statement of intent like what he done with BR appointment. The time for up and coming coaches is 2 years down the line NOT NOW because we cannot afford to fail next season.

1 Like

The latest social media rumours/discussions that haven’t been previously mentioned:

Carlos Queiroz
Julien Stephan
Domenec Torrent

Enzo Maresca is the new bookies favourite (but that doesn’t mean much and it’s why we don’t run articles like that).

1 Like

Moyes won’t come to Celtic anymore because he’s not as desperate as he once was. Always seems to be up for the job when he’s struggling. But as soon as he’s in a Premier League job he consistently distances himself from it.

2 Likes

@john.mcginley @john.reid @Colzzz1888 @StrangeAttractions @TiMod @Stepheneob1 @Jim

Is Lawwels last act as CEO (with help from his son Mark Lawwell) to turn Celtic into an experimental ‘DUMPING GROUND’ for Manchester City’s second-tier players with the possible signings of ‘Fegal Harkin’ (DoF) and ‘Enzo Maresca’ (New Manager / Coach)!?

2 Likes

The last thing the club should do is become a feeder club for ABU DHABI/MAN CITY and other affiliated clubs to Sheikh Mansours football empire. By continuing on this course The Celtic Football club loses it’s own identity and traditions.

3 Likes

David, have you seen the Howe thoughts at Celtic?

I f&£king knew it, the new CEO hasn’t even walked through the front door yet, therefore he hasn’t had a chance to sit down with the board to help identify a ‘DoF’ in order to PROPERLY identify a new manager, yet Celtic are apparently are on the verge of signing Wigan winger ‘Kyle Joseph’!?

Should the possible signing of ‘Kyle Joseph’ (and other players) not be the sole responsibility of the new DoF and Manager? The new manager identifies a player(s) and the new Dof set about finding out about that particular player(s) and whether he/they are/ is suitable and therefore affordable to buy!? So, with that being said, the question has to be asked, WHO is authorising and approving these signings and on WHOSE behalf are they being conducted!? John Kennedy, that’s who!

Your pleas are being AGAIN ignored, we’re still in the ‘Boys of The Old Brigade’ mentality, the Celtic ‘Pals Act’ s%£t-show rolls on under extreme silence. Just like they did with Lennon, blatantly LYING to the fans to buy their mate the time that he needed to get HIS quadruple treble, while destroying our 10IAR, their pulling the same exact stunt with Kennedy, CHEAP scumbags that they are.

Beware fello Celts, everything is not as it seems, the Celtic fans are ONCE again being played, Desmond and the rest of the CHEAP charlatans are at it, deliberately stalling for time. Fello Celts, all these stories that you’re hearing or reading about with the potential new suitors for the managerial role in the form of ‘Howe’, to ‘Enzo Maresca’ is all bulls%£t, ALL OF IT, BULLS%$T, even these so-called OFFICAL approaches (acknowledge by the press) are actually stalling tactics. Those stories are a deceptive ruse pumped out by the Celtic’s PR machine in order to buy time to deceive my fello Celts ONCE again, to hoard season ticket money. I urge my fello Celts, watch your wallet, Desmond and Co are about to pull every dirty trick that they can muster to wipe your eye over the next few weeks

Yes, fello Celts John Kennedy IS your new manager, (to be announced within the next few months). The money grabbers on our board view John Kennedy as the next Slippy-G but with a twist, he’s the next YES man lapdog, that will be so honoured to be the manager that he’ll accept any S53T that thrown at him without question. HOLY F%£K, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel, AMBITION is LITERALLY NON-EXISTENT at Celtic. Welcome to the ’90s for any of my fello Celts that weren’t born to experience that s%£t-show, for the foreseeable future my younger Celts are about to subjected to / enter into their own dire 90’s experience with the appointment of Kennedy, this is going to be an ABSOLUTE dogmeat serving. The next 4-5 years is going to be a horrific biscuit tin, rollercoaster ride of epic proportions as Desmond and Co hand Sevco the keys to the city and all the European financially rewards that come with it. Fello Celts, Celtic are preparing for a downsizing of EPIC PROPORTIONS and it will start with the appointment of Kennedy. Never mind how well he spoke in the new ‘Fans Press Box’, that means nothing.

King made the prediction that “They’ll Fold Like A Deck Of Cards”, loud mouth and Celtic hating scumbag Boyd made (what is now a very odd but true assessment before the end of last season) when he stated “They’ve Got Problems In The Dressing room”, what was it that they knew, someone was clearly filtering them inside info because both their statements became a reality!? Slippy-G is so confident of Celtics downsizing that even he’s starting to taunt us in the press with what he sees as Sevco’s domination of all things on the domestic front for the foreseeable future, thanks to the absolute and utter arrogance and incompetence of Desmond, Lawwell, Lenny and Kennedy.

@john.mcginley @StrangeAttractions @dixiedixie @TiMod @david.walton

My fello Celts, here’s a named thats came out of left field for the managerial position, what about the German World Cup Winner Joachim ‘Pick N Flick’ Low? We as a club could do with a german styled restructuring of the club as we all know, the Germans are meticulous in everything they do.

2 Likes

It would be an impressive, statement signing. I would like Löw here!

2 Likes

https://www.goal.com/en-cm/news/rangnick-holds-talks-over-schalke-return-despite-links-to/13n22l968svwt1th9j8ayq8c2z

Rangnick might be working with Schalke so no one knows where he’s going.

It would alright fello Celt, a world cup winner with connections all over Germany.

2 Likes

Davy Provan is calling Desmond and Co out with a “WTF Is Going On, Is Anyone Home, Hello, Is AnyOne In”…“ET, Phooooooooone Hooooommmmmeeee”

1 Like

Never Mind a ‘Harkin’ & ‘Maresca’ ( Dalglish & Barnes Mark 2.0 sh%t show), never mind Wilder or Howe, get the Germans in as everything they do is meticulous in detail. Celtic should then to the German Footballing Methods to help with the overall cultural change and rebuild

How Germany’s Tactics Transformed Them Into A Powerhouse | Copa 90 & Top Eleven

Joachim Low’s Kicks out big-name entitled Primadonnas and turns to youth in German rebuild:

Christie FC, Brown, Griffs, Rogic, Bitton, Ntcham and Bolinggoli can get the f%£k if he came in. I could see the likes of Luca Connel, Ewan Henderson, Soro, Welsh, really thriving under Lows management.

1 Like

I’m going to sticky this thread for the week so it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.

3 Likes

Okay, so, bit of a ramble here on club direction/suitable managers for that…

I was watching Enda Coll’s show this morning & he brought up an interesting name in Brentford’s Thomas Frank. Now, I think Frank may be too bought in to the project that Brentford have going there, especially since they look due to gain promotion, but I think he has a lot of traits that Celtic would do well to look for in a manager.
These traits have a lot to do with the whole structure Brentford have put into place, which is incredibly interesting to me. Midtjylland, their ‘sister’ club, so to speak, (and the home of Erik Sviatchenko) have a similar structure where they both essentially function under the “Moneyball” principle of operation pioneered by Brad Pitt. They identify players who are efficient in roles of need and develop from there. In baseball terms, you win games by scoring runs, right? And hitting a ball a shorter distance is much easier than hitting a home run, so, finding players who are more efficient at getting on base consistently to capitalize on their teammate hitting the more probable shorter hit will generate more runs and win you more games. Does that makes sense? Essentially, if your team crosses the ball a lot, find a player who is effective at getting into the positions you cross to most and they’ll end up scoring more goals than a player who is more effective at running off of the last man. You don’t send Dennis Bergkamp to do Brian McBride’s job.
This premise utilizes all of these “fancy stats” to help them identify talent and efficiencies in players that may not pass the initial “eye test”. Look at some of their recent sales in Neal Maupay, bought for £1.80m and sold for £20m, scoring 41 and assisting 14 in 95 games., and Saïd Benrahama, bought for £1.53m and sold in excess of £20m (in that loan to buy deal with West Ham), scoring 30 and assisting 27 in 94 games.
Now, Celtic clearly utilize elements of this, Ivan Toney is the perfect example where both Celtic and Brentford identified a player far exceeding his role in his team at the time, but the less we say about that whole situation the better. Celtic would do well to build on this element and bring in someone (or a DoF and a manager) who can streamline efficiency in identifying players that can have an impact like a Maupay or a Toney.
Celtic streamlining and increasing the efficiency of a system of operation they clearly already utilize is key for not only success on the pitch, but for increasing revenue through sales to put back into the club. This, coupled with the obvious need to set the team up to make a proper run at European competition could put Celtic in a position to cut out these “middle man” sales we’ve become accustomed to and start selling our van Dijks and our Dembeles straight to the Liverpools and Atletico Madrids of the world instead of to lower clubs who then reap the real benefits of Celtic’s recruitment and development by selling these players on.
Identify the talent, put it on display at the highest level, reap the benefits of both.
So, identifying managers and DoFs who could operate in a structure like this, or who would potentially utilize an ethos like this on their own, while pushing the club’s ambitions points me towards some of the previously identified pairings like Webb and Howe or (as much as many people don’t like it) Harkin and Maresca. Both pairings have operated in (or currently operate in) roles where identifying player efficiencies is key- of course this has to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt considering the Premiership money and flexibility involved with some of the roles Webb/Howe held and the whole obvious Manchester City angle with Harkin/Maresca, but I think the base, operational ethos is still the same. While on the coaching side, Howe is clearly an ambitious manager who has gone toe-to-toe on a weekly basis with clubs better than most we’d meet in Europe and Maresca has seen and done it all as a player and is tasked with bringing the most out of players at one of the most competitive high performance programs in the world.
These things don’t rule out the realities of modern football, of course. Transfer fees can always be wacky and some players are just going to flop no matter how well scouted or coached they are, but I think embracing an ethos like this and putting in place young, progressive leaders like those are key to the club pushing forward in a strong fashion.

All that being said, I look forward to watching Roy Keane shoot daggers out of his eyes at Robbie Brady struggling to play as a 10 next season.

4 Likes

We could start by offering Bradley Pitts a contract?

2 Likes