The sweeper role

I know Ange want’s Joe hart to play a sweeper role higher up the pitch, but to be honest it gives me the collywobbles seeing him play so high, as it leaves the goalmouth wide open, and the chance of a long ball goal high on the agenda from our opponents.
The other thing that worries me is, although Joe makes spectacular saves, he is guilty at times of holding on to the ball too long and finds himself having to dribble his way out of danger.

3 Likes

I agree re Joe being so far away from the goal on occasion. Indeed I’d go so far as to suggest that it’s inevitable that we will concede at some point a goal against us playing the way Ange wants. However the philosophy is that we will look to score more goals than the opposition playing like we do. And so far it’s hard to argue against Angeball.

My concern is in the CL the likelihood is that the teams there will take advantage more readily of the way we play. Maybe Joe doesn’t play so high up the park in Europe? Or we tweak the system and get Calum or someone to act as the “water carrier” to drop back and pick the ball up from Joe and build from there?

Hail Hail

1 Like

I agree that the situation might have to be looked at when we play in Europe.
What’s your thoughts on Joe holding on to the ball too long and finding himself in tricky situations at times?.
Do you think Ange needs to address that?.

1 Like

I have to agree with the points you make, he does have a tendency to hang on to the ball, longer than I would like on occasions. More than once I’ve found myself shouting “just clear it” or words to that effect :joy:
Again I’d point out that he gets away with it domestically but the CL is a huge step up in class and abilities of players. Id be surprised if Ange isn’t already working on an alternative for European games. Whether that’s a CCV dropping deeper to give Joe an out ball or if Gia is playing an instruction to just launch it if necessary only time will tell.

What do you think?

Hail Hail

2 Likes

And me, but my words were slightly stronger than” just clear it”. :rofl:

1 Like

I he continues to play virtually on the half way line we will concede goals from it and not just in Europe. We one of the few teams who do this.Why? Because it’s not a good idea.

2 Likes

I have to agree with you there, It fills me with dread when I see our goalkeeper, whoever he may be, practically on the halfway line.
It invites teams to take long range shots, some might miss, but some won’t If we start to lose goals because of this strategy, I think it will be scrapped fairly quickly.

1 Like

Guardiola let Hart go from Citeh because he couldn’t play the sweeper keeper role.
That was peak Hart at the top of his game.
He does not have the pace to get back to his line when the move inevitably breaks down from a slack pass or good interception.
On top of this however McGregor is being bypassed as he normally is the one who comes deep to collect and get the ball moving.
None of it is making any sense to me and is in my opinion a disaster waiting to happen.
Ange has options to put an extra CB in there if he’s looking to add an extra body in further up the Park.
An extra CB who is comfortable getting forward and who can step out to create a DMF when we are on the front foot would allow McGregor more options in getting more advanced himself.
Given Ange has deployed a back 3 previously (away to St.Johnstone in December) so he’s obviously aware of his options and has decided the risk is worth the reward.

It is high risk.

1 Like

You’re right, It’s a very high risk strategy and one that Ange is prepared to take.
Whether it’s successful or not, time will tell?
I personally think It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

5 Likes

It’s the ultimate in risk and reward and that’s how Ange wants his keeper’s to play. I think it’s dangerous in Europe but we can get away with it domestically having said that though nobody’s scored against us in pre-season a couple of teams tried but failed. Joe’s not the quickest and he looks laboured on the ball at times but for a player of his age enthusing over a new way to play shows how much he loves being at Celtic and the trust Ange has in him. Keeper’s have been beaten by being only a few yards off their line so obviously Ange realises how risky it is and thinks the pro’s outweigh the con’s. If we start losing a glut of goals then Ange might look at what he’s asking Joe to do but I doubt it, he won’t change his philosophy for anyone.

Well, I think that if we start to lose goals, Ange may reconsider this strategy.
In all honesty, I think Benjamen Siegrest is perhaps more suitable, as he is younger and more agile than Joe.

Martin I’m not saying Ange isn’t fallible we all make mistakes including our manager he’s admitted as much himself. I’m merely pointing out that nobody’s scored any goals against us, yet, if it did happen regularly then obviously the manager is a very clever and erudite man he wouldn’t flog a dead horse. He’s always got something up his sleeve and if this costs us a lot of goals then I’m sure Ange might have a variation on it. He’s brought things into our game that’s making us a better side and I trust him implicitly, not to the extent that I wouldn’t ever criticise him but he’s the type of guy who knows when something isn’t working so I don’t think we’d have to tell him that he’d see it himself. He’s been brilliant since he came in but we’ll really see how good he is when it’s not going so well, that’s the test of any manager and his philosophy. We saw it a wee bit when we lost the first three away games last season but he rallied the players and we went on a 32 game streak without losing and that won us the double.

1 Like

I think the Aberdeen game will be a good gauge on whether the strategy is going to work, or not,
of course, it may take a few games to see the benefits or the disadvantages of playing that particular system.
It’s going to be a fascinating watch, that’s for sure.
Can’t wait. :four_leaf_clover:

I think we’ll hammer Aberdeen today mate I really do. Our movement in the first half against Norwich last Saturday was frightening and I think that was as good as our first eleven Ange put out in that game. This is second year in a row we’re playing our opening fixture on my birthday Hearts ruined it last year but I don’t think I’ve got anything to worry about this year. Hail Hail and God bless mate.

1 Like

I’m crap at prediction’s, but I’m going to put my neck on the line and predict 4.1 to Celtic.
:four_leaf_clover:

I predicted 5-0 so don’t be beating yersel up too much :joy::+1:t3:

1 Like

I thought we were a little bit rusty in front of goal today, but I’m sure we’ll shake that off pretty quickly.
Still it was a good win, and what a goal from Jota, world-class. :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

The whole idea is nonsense and the ball ends up at one of the centre backs again anyway so its pointless as if anything is slowing getting the ball forward faster.
Joe should be doing wht he is good at making saves.