Vasilis Barkas gets backing from ex-manager after Celtic horror moment

Originally published at: Vasilis Barkas gets backing from ex-manager after Celtic horror moment - 67 Hail Hail

Former AEK Athens manager Manolo Jimenez has been the one to provide Vasilis Barkas with some relief after his Celtic horror moment. Barkas is looking to reinvent himself at Parkhead after a struggling first campaign. However, things went disastrously in our first competitive game of the season vs Midtjylland on Tuesday night. The Greek goalkeeper…

Me thinks he maybe should go back to Greece, the club clearly rate him and he’s never gonna be good enough to be a Celtic keeper

I was all in favour of giving Bargas a run on the basis that he was presumably a decent goalie in the past. Sadly, the goal should been a simple clutch out of the air as Forster, Gordon and a million other keepers do routinely. So Bargas has to go, Bain is an okay deputy but a better No.1 has to be secured a.s.a.p.
David Marshall is now the Derby Co captain, I think, but surely would be interested on the right terms – no real transfer fee because of his age and bringing back a veteran worked fine for Rangers.
More probably there is Fraser Forster. Lennon is not the only one who rated him higher than probably his Southampton manager and, I don’t know about you, but the idea of someone overperforming in his time at Celtic would be a refreshing change.
They say Celtic would have to pay a larger chunk of his wages this time round for a year-long loan. As for financing it, there are two ways. Obviously, it can come out of the wages budget, forgetting all the stuff about getting x times as much as anyone else. There have been loan signings aplenty in the past and that must have been the case then.
Or the £2m (say) can come out of the capital, which can surely afford it (the Ayer-out, Starfelt-in swap made a £9m profit). Even the canny Fergus McCann would have considered this although he didn’t like assets with a zero re-sale value. You may say, “£2m for a one-season fix?” I say, this a crisis and £2m is a small part of the overall budget for a must-fix element.

Please please come collect him and take him back to Greece before we are 3 points behind rangers on day 1 when hearts will over load around him and he will bottle it again.