Ange Postecoglou shields players as BBC reporter questions squad strength

Originally published at: Ange Postecoglou shields players as BBC reporter questions squad strength

Celtic dropped more points on the road tonight after the 4-2 loss to Hibernian at Easter Road. In a performance that has become typical of a team that has already wrapped up the league, Ange Postecoglou was fairly unequivocal about what he thought about the performance. The Celtic manager took a large proportion of the…

1 Like

As rubbish as it is seeing Celtic drop anything based on the strength we’ve shown all season, I think Ange knows what he’s doing.

Giving squad players time against teams now playing football and not sitting in for 90 mins will make the gaffer’s mind up on where these guys need to go (leave the club, remain a squad player or be developed to first team level).

Perhaps Ange will wait till Saturday to go full strength and get his cup final team match fit? Even if he doesn’t, he - as well as the players, will all be focussed on lifting the Scottish Cup to complete our treble. This may also calm the media down after getting excited seeing our newest Glasgow rivals picking up their EFL championship freebies :four_leaf_clover:

While I have no doubt that the remaining games are an opportunity for Ange to assess his whole squad for next season and in particular for the Champions League campaign, many of them looked light years away from the standard required to me, as the performance and result demonstrated last night. Can you imagine Bernabai up against a decent CL team - they would think Christmas had arrived early! Up until his howler, I thought Bain performed really well in goal, commanding his box and making some crucial saves after awful defending by Ralston, Bernabai and Kobayashi. If we are to go to the next level in terms of quality of player as Ange states, then these are the players that need to be replaced as there are too many mistakes in them at the moment. I’m sure Ange has already identified his targets and we will see an even stronger team going forward, even though that might be hard to imagine at the moment.