It would be sad to see him go, but not the end of the world

If the rumours are true and Jota is leaving us, all I can say is, good luck to him.
At the end of the day, as much as he is a great player and will be sorely missed, he is replaceable.
I can’t blame him for taking the opportunity to earn 10 million pounds per year, who in their right mind would turn that down.
Celtic will do well out of the sale, as will Benfica, who I believe have a sell on clause of 30% in place, so they are likely to earn 7.5 million If Celtic sell him for 25 million.
Let’s hope it’s just media gossip in overdrive, but I’m not holding my breath.
:four_leaf_clover:

Let’s be honest, all players with a bit of flair and media following will look for the highest paying sheik they can find. Jota is no different?

We’ve played this record so many times, as will any Scottish team with an “asset” in their squad. We get around 2 years from these guys (that’s what the greedy agents tell them to put up with) and then their wanten hands come protruding from their midriff.

We are fortunate to be covered in our Wingers department and probably gives a “Boaby Big Bananas” a chance to show why he’s so good and hasn’t signed a new deal, the chance to prove it on the field.

Greedy boys leaving our amazing club and regretting everything they do, why? :four_leaf_clover:

That’s what happens JeemoBhoy when you have a successful team, the vultures begin to circle.
Trust me, he won’t be the only one the media will be talking about before the window closes.

1 Like

When you say Boaby Big Bananas, I take it you’re talking about Leil Abada, if you are, I think he has a contract running through to 2026, so we don’t have to worry about him signing a new contract extension.
But if a suitor comes along in the meantime, they will need very deep pockets, because the transfer fee will be hefty, that’s for sure. :four_leaf_clover:

The Saudi League is becoming a real problem for clubs like ours. On the one hand, I can’t imagine what thrill or attraction there would be playing in that league. On the other hand, who can compete with the wages? Players are simply going after the big money in what must be a dull league of unknowns. If Jota goes to the Saudi league as looks pretty certain, then next up Hatate, Kyogo et al. This can only be bad news for the SPFL in the long run as it means more quality players will be here today and gone tomorrow!

1 Like

That’s football for you, Dom.
I wish there were more players around like Callum McGregor/ Scott Brown/ Tom Rogic/ Kristoffer Ajer etc who devoted almost their entire playing career to Celtic.
Sadly, these sorts of players are few and far between now.
Nowadays, if we get two full seasons out of players, we’re doing well.

There’s two ways to look at it. Jota probably didn’t have any real loyalty to Celtic, did he? It’s a short career. Some people look at it like, 'can I make as much money as I can? If you’re that good, that money will come to you eventually. He’s very young to be taking that step. It’s the established players just now that are kind of going across to Saudi, like Benzema, Ronaldo etc.

I would’ve liked to have seen Jota stay at Celtic for another couple of years and then maybe try his luck in the Premier League or somewhere else and then that money that he’s getting in the short term just now, that’ll come back to him eventually. I am very worried about more of our players going this way but I suppose the Saudis are so wealthy they’ll pay decent money if they go!

Think we could get a bit of dosh from the Saudis if they are looking for quality players.

The likes of Hatate and Kyogo must have been looked at by someone out there? Not saying we should sell, more looking at the luxury we have with more than one £20 million rated player in our ranks :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

You’re right Dom, I think that his decision is a strange one considering his age, but he obviously wants to make himself financially secure early in life over and above anything else, and who can blame him.
If he spends two seasons in Saudi Arabia, he can do that and still be young enough to take on better challenges in the European arena.
Personally, I think he could have waited and stayed at Celtic for another season or two to enjoy playing in the Champions League.
But, as the saying goes, money talks. :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like