Lords Of The Ring

Seems very quiet on here today and I find that a bit strange.
Were some in Timland expecting a different result last night based on a result at the weekend up against the Galacticos of Govan in Juanquid Madrid?
I hope not because that would show a bit of naivety as there are levels to this game and Celtic had to jump up several of them last night in order to put on a show.
Put on a show we did for the most part as Ange was good to his word and our bhoys attempted to go toe to toe with Europes Champions in the REAL Madrid.
If you compare both games (and perhaps we should when gauging what actually happened last night) then there really is no comparison between what Celtic achieved and the Govan Galacticos failed to achieve up against genuine quality at our respective levels.
They hardly put a glove on us is boxing terms whereas Celtic last night went 5 rounds of 12 and were ahead on points come the halfway mark up against a far superior boxer.
What we attempted last night was liken to a new emerging star in the heavyweight division getting a crack at Tyson Fury after 12 months as a professional.
The outcome was always going to be a bit of a lesson in the finer arts of the game.
Yet we landed some decent shots in the first half and perhaps should have gone in at least 1 maybe two goals to the good after several great chances to open the scoring.
Compare that to the game at the weekend where Celtic smashed The Rangers in the first half and game over by half time.
Madrids class and quality put the game to bed ultimately in the end but they had to work for it and for sure they went into their dressing room at the final bell knowing they had been in a fight with a very competitive challenger who actually brought out the best of them in the end.
Ange was a bit disappointed in the end because he like most watching probably felt a 3-0 loss was not reflective of what actually went on last night.
Celtic simply failed to convert our chances on a stage and at such a level where you cannot afford not to take your chances.
McGregors shot had Courtois rooted to the spot ,he was a spectator as his effort rattled the frame of the goal.
Fine margins.
Maeda spurned not one but two clear chances one of which perhaps highlights why he no longer plays through the middle at Celtic
A Hooper,Dembele or Griffiths would have buried that no danger.
That’s by the by now as it’s on to the next.
I believe we can go onto the next game full of confidence that our approach can and will cause these teams massive problems provided that is we take our created chances and bury them.
That game last night was no Barca or PSG pumping.
It was a good win for the reigning Champion up against a very competitive challenger in Celtic.

We should holds our heads high but also keep our heads out the clouds when predicting how a game is going to go because as a great man once said:

“Predicting scores is a mug’s game – I’ll leave that to Alec Cameron!” Jock Stein

I predicted 2-2 so you can make of that what you will :joy:

4 Likes

It could have been better but wasn’t, still work to be done on that issue, there were a lot of positives in that performance and we don’t come up against teams of that quality to often, which doesn’t help. Five games left in that group, so it’s onwards and upwards.

1 Like

Our Season won’t be defined by two games against the Champions of Europe Real Madrid but by the results against the other two teams in this Group.
If we produce the same levels in those games as we have shown in the first half last night and the game at the weekend then I think we may just get some joy out of this European Campaign.
Levels will have to remain high in order to get those results all the same because these are no mug teams by any stretch of the imagination.
Madrid are a class outfit and will scud teams far more fancied than our own in Europe.
Good start but we have to be more clinical at this level.

4 Likes

I agree with everything you say.
The thing that impressed me most was the fact that we took the game to them and didn’t sit in and try to keep the scoreline respectable.
And as you rightly say, had we taken those chances in the first half we could have gone in at half-time at least 2 up or more.
We should hold our heads up high because we gave them a game, and boy did they know it.
:four_leaf_clover: :green_heart:

3 Likes

No shame in losing to probably the best club team in the world at present & we certainly could have been at least 2 goals up by halftime such was the quality of our play.
One thing puzzles me though & that is why Abada & Maida’s lack of composure in front of goals has not been sorted by coaching & practice in training - we’ve all seen how Abada can be a headless chicken at times & Maida’s composure in front of goal is woeful. They are both very talented players but how frustrating it was to see those opportunities missed. So what are the coaches doing about it?

1 Like

Neither is a natural finisher in my opinion.
There’s a world of difference between a provider of chances and a taker of chances.
Both are wingers who can operate as auxiliary Forwards at a push but neither is a natural striker.
I think there is scope for Abada to develop further as a finisher but Maeda does lack in the finishing department for me.
If you look at Tony Watts finish v Barca in 2012 under Lennon he took that chance with the same calm precision that he would have up the Park playing with his pals.
Which is ironic given just 2 years previous that’s all he was doing in a Football sense.
You can’t teach that level of composure in that environment it’s totally natural for a Striker.
You can develop it sure but there has to be that basic mental strength to keep calm and in a nano second do what’s needed to score.
The encouraging thing is however both are getting themselves in goal scoring positions regularly at Celtic.
Ideally though you want it to be Kyogo or Giakoumakis on the spot when those type of chances come in these games.

Who is the Striking coach at Celtic?

2 Likes

I don’t know but would have presumed Kewell?
Also wondered if it’s part his influence in our much improved, interchanging, movement which has been so enjoyable to watch.
Abada & Maida may be wingers but the interchange of positions in the way we play means that both, inevitably & regularly, find themselves in scoring/striking positions so their rate of ‘return’ really does have to be addressed.
That was my huge frustration with both of them in the RM game - we were the better team in the first half & RM undoubtedly in the second. The big difference was that RM took the chances they got while we messed up ours - & significantly at points where we could have altered the course of the game.
For me, the old maxim of practice, practice, practice is the answer so that scoring becomes instinctive & automatic for both Abada & Maida when they are in front of goal. A prime example of that maxim is Beckham, who attributed his skill, in practically being able to land a ball on a sixpence, to time spent practicing after training when other players had gone home!

1 Like

I think you are being very harsh, if I might say so, first and foremost Abada and Maida are predominantly wingers not strikers, their main task is to charge down the wings and get behind defenders to get in some telling passes.
Both of them have scored some amazing goals recently, and to call Abada a headless chicken in front of goal is incredibly disrespectful, a hat trick against Dundee United and a double against Rangers tells its own story, and to say that Maida is woeful in front of goal is way off the mark.
Both of them have come up with some very important goals for our team, and created some amazing assists also.

As much as I like Giakoumakis, he can sometimes be less than clinical in front of goal, so he is the one IMO who needs extra tuition in finishing.
:four_leaf_clover: :green_heart:

1 Like

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, as am I.
I do, however, think you are being overly sensitive about the language I used. Saying that Abada can be a headless chicken at times is in no way disrespectful,. It may be blunt but nevertheless is true - we’ve all witnessed it at times & his general performance in the RM game was one of those unfortunate occasions which I believe is why he was replaced during the match. He is undoubtedly a very talented player & I like him but there is still a lot of developmental potential to his game. I hope we see that improvement, consistently, in the near future.

As for Maida, his dreadful miss in the RM game is not the first time by any means that he has messed up right in front of goal. He is another very talented player but I believe that side of his game needs a lot of improvement & as I said, the way we cleverly interchange positions frequently during games means that both players will inevitably find themselves in front of goal with chances to make a big difference - that difference was sadly missing in the RM game & both players’ inability to take their chances cost us dearly.
Believe me, I am an ardent fan of every player in the team but that does not exclude constructive crticism of anyone if I believe it is warranted. You & others may disagree while others may agree & so be it - but we are all fans & want the same in the end … I hope!

1 Like

Fantastic summary and opinions hh

2 Likes

I do apologize, I possibly overreacted to your post.
You’re right of course about Abada, he is still very young and a bit of a rough diamond, but a diamond when smoothed out will be an amazing Jewel in Celtic’s Crown.
As far as the RM game goes, I think that the occasion got to him somewhat, but it’s a learning curve for him, and I’m sure that he will have learnt a great deal from that game, and I’m sure Maida will have learnt some harsh lessons from that game also.
I think Ange will have sat them both down after that match and explained how essential it is in big matches the importance of remaining calm, and to take the chances when they come along, otherwise we will be punished, which is exactly what happened.
I’m sure this was the biggest game they have ever played in, and hopefully they will have taken on board the advice imparted to them from the Manager and the coaching staff and other players after the match, and improve going forward.
I would like to finish this post by saying RIP Queen Elizabeth 11 and condolences to her family.
:four_leaf_clover:

1 Like