Neil Lennon speaks out against 'new breed' of Celtic supporter in first major interview since resignation

Originally published at: Neil Lennon speaks out against 'new breed' of Celtic supporter in first major interview since resignation - 67 Hail Hail

Former Celtic manager Neil Lennon has spoken out against the ‘new breed’ of supporter that ‘belie the values of the club’ in his first major interview since resigning. Lennon left Celtic in February. Aside from a few appearances on BBC Radio 5 Live has kept largely quiet on a deeply disappointing season. He’s now joined…

2 Likes

The man still won’t except any responsibility. Delusional to the last.

3 Likes

Football without fans is nothing Neil, it.wasnt the fans that lost us 10 in a row, it wasn’t the fans that refused to drop their favourites and give the youth a chance . I’ve been a massive Lennon fan throughout his Celtic career but he’s way out of line here, grow a pair, and accept that between you and the board you sold the 10, the support are celtics biggest asset, his bitterness and refusal to accept his part in the calamity.of last season is tragic.

1 Like

He’s learnt the rule of punditry is the Scottish football media pretty quick, s**t talk Celtic at every opportunity & keep yourself in a good paying job…

1 Like

Sad I would never have taken him for a soup taker but there he is

I’m divided on this. On one hand, I absolutely acknowledge the success Neil Lennon brought to Celtic as a player, a manager and a fan. And I know he’s hurting, despite the tough guy interview. And who knows, maybe with his own staff, they would have managed the 10, Mjallby, Thompson or whoever but it’s done and gone now. The fact is, we won nothing this season and finished every aspect of every possible trophy abysmally. So on the one hand, yes, in time, I do think us fans have to give Lennon credit for all his achievements. I mean, he was a superb player for us and he is without doubt a diehard fan. But nothing can take away from the failure of this past season. And as much as he defends the board, they should have planned ahead. They didn’t. In business, you plan ahead or you fail. So why should football be different? It’s a business. So plan ahead. Or fail. We didn’t plan ahead. And we failed. It’s that stark, no excuses. So next season - and I really feel for the new manager who has done nothing wrong obviously - we need a DoF in the door at some point. We need our new CEO to pick apart the bones of failure and work out how the hell he can sort the mess out that he’s been left to mop up. I think McKay is up to it. I think Postecoglou with enough support might be up to it. But we need a DoF to ensure we do not lose any more academy talent!! And to bring players in and get rid of who is going, for as much as possible. Sort this role out pronto!

3 Likes

@pennerigate I agree completely. I don’t think he was allowed his own team, it was a case of make do what’s already here. Who knows if that was a factor in the disaster that was last season. Lenny gave us 20 years of his life as a player & manager. We know he’s also a fan & must remember he’s hurting like the rest of us. Last season was shambolic to say the least, no one truly knows what happened but to square the blame fully on Neil Lennon is unfair. There are obviously other factors at work. But we must move on.

We have a new manager coming through the door to hopefully repair some of the damage & sort out the mess of 2019/2020. All I hope is that the fans see reality & take. off the green tinted specs & give him a chance.

I love all things CFC as much as the next fan but I’ve been banging the drum on here for AP & all I’ve had back so far is negativity. The support for the new man has been woeful, comments shameful. It’s time we put to bed the horrors of last season & move on. I for one will support AP & give him, as Celtic boss my full backing & support.

Welcome to Celtic Fc Mr Postecoglou.

AP, the man to stop the 1

HH

2 Likes

Yes, I think it’s harsh to criticize Postecoglou before he has even started the job. Anything can go pear shaped but he’s been respectful and is honoured to be given the job and I suspect there’s a bit of Greek fire in him. He looks like he would take no crap from any prima donna attitudes or accept excuses for not listening, not being fit or not performing. As long as he’s given backing and can choose his own team, then he has the platform to shape things his way. Must be a relief for the players too. But the board are only halfway there. This will only succeed if there’s a structure above him that works too. Hopefully McKay is quietly working towards making that a reality

2 Likes