Next stop, Celtic? A look at David Wagner and Dan Petrescu

Originally published at: Next stop, Celtic? A look at David Wagner and Dan Petrescu - 67 Hail Hail

David Wagner and Dan Petrescu have been linked with the vacant Celtic job. According to Stephen McGowan of the Daily Mail, both managers have expressed interest in the Celtic managerial position. Dan Petrescu, formerly of CFR Cluj, has been linked before. Wagner, however, is a new name in terms of Hoops chat; the former Huddersfield…

1 Like

I think Wagner would be a very interesting appointment, it would be the sort of appointment you don’t associate with Celtic. As you say though, there has to be a concern about what happened at Schalke.

1 Like

The Schalke thing puts me off him entirely. I’ve no doubt he’ll be successful in the not-too-distant future, but I don’t want Celtic taking a gamble on a manager who needs career rehabilitation.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think he’d do well but I’d rather we go for someone who is on an upwards career trajectory

1 Like

Wagner’s time at Schalke in a nutshell: Offensive without punch, defensively vulnerable, lots of problems with set-pieces, every week excuses in interviews and accusing players.
Does this look familiar to you?

1 Like

@StrangeAttractions @john.mcginley @euan.davidson @john.reid1 @Colzzz1888 @TiMod LA FC’s Manager: Bob Bradley, connections all over America and South America, he could bring in some interesting players

2 Likes

@euan.davidson @StrangeAttractions @john.reid1 @john.mcginley @Colzzz1888 Ex-Toronto FC Manager Why Greg, On June 27, 2017, Toronto FC won their sixth Canadian Championship 3–2 on aggregate over Montreal, earning them a spot in the 2018 CONCACAF Champions League. That year Why Greg took Toronto FC to the 2018 CONCACAF Champions League final

1 Like

@euan.davidson @john.reid @StrangeAttractions @john.mcginley @Colzzz1888 Boca Juniors manager Guillermo Barros Schelotto, took Boca Juniors to the CONCACAF Champions League final

1 Like

Vanney has taken the LA Galaxy job.

Also in regard to you other post, respectfully, Schelotto was a disaster in his last position in the MLS. He looked completely out of ideas with a squad with some considerable talent. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the helm at Celtic.

3 Likes

@Ryan Fair enough fello Celt, I was just throwing out ideas, I certainly don’t like the idea of bringing in Enzo Maresca (Manchester City Reserve Coach) it stinks of another cheap option to save money and Celtic need to hit the ground running

1 Like

I appreciate you putting forward ideas! I mean no criticism of you for doing so. I’ve just watched a lot of MLS in my time and all three of those Managers haven’t done enough with what they’ve had. I think they’ve all just about reached their coaching apex with where they are. That being said, if Celtic were to go shopping at their clubs (or, former clubs in Vanney’s case), I think we could be in for an interesting conversation!

3 Likes

@john.mcginley @john.reid @StrangeAttractions @euan.davidson @Colzzz1888
I like the look of a few of the Toronto FC players, I think (as you say) if Celtic went sniffing around the MLS there could be a few decent bargains picked up for a reasonable price that could potentially be gold nuggets. You’ve been following the MLS for a while, is there any players within the MLS that your think could do the business for Celtic domestically as well as Europe?

1 Like

Off of the top of my head, I think Ayo Akinola at TFC deserves a good look, as well as their right-back Richie Lareya. Lareya is into his mid-20s, but can play right and left back and on the wing and looks like he can do a job for a club at a higher level.
I’m genuinely surprised Eduard Atuesta, Diego Rossi and Brian Rodriguez are still at LAFC. I think in any non-covid market they’d already be in Europe.
Efrain Alvarez at LA Galaxy looks the business for an 18 year old, I think he’s one to watch.
I also think it would be interesting to see how the Paul Arriola’s loan goes at Swansea!

1 Like

@Ryan Fello Celt, you’ll have to take it upon yourself to act as the Celtic’s chief MLS Scout, I’m not on Twitter but if you are, put together a ‘Tweet’ with all their names in it, label it as urgent and tag ‘CelticFC’, ‘Dominic McKay’, ‘Fergal Harkin’ etc and anyone else that is connected to the club and let them see it, you never know it might get passed up the line to the people that need to see it

2 Likes

Haha I’ll do what I can, my friend.

2 Likes

@Ryan @TiMod @euan.davidson @john.reid @john.mcginley @StrangeAttractions @Colzzz1888 Jesse Marsch of RB Salzburg anyone?

3 Likes

I think this is an interesting idea! I hate the whole thing about Red Bull owning football teams, but you have to give them credit for their clubs being well run, well scouted organizations. If his hiring means Celtic can tap into some of those scouting networks through his connections, I think we’d be in good stead.
The fella seems a pretty capable manager considering how Salzburg have done and the fact that he was linked with the Dortmund job in the past, & he worked under Ralf Rangnick, so I’m sure he learned a thing or two there.

3 Likes

Just another quick thought, those Red Bull teams tend to be pretty well structured, up-tempo, attacking squads that press when out of possession- a style that I think would be well suited to the players in the squad Celtic should be building around, Turnbull and Soro especially come to mind.

2 Likes

@Ryan 'Jesse Marsch ’ would certainly be an interesting choice fello Celt, however, after listening to John Paul Dykes on ACSOM yesterday, I’ve got the feeling that Desmond is going to hand the Celtic fans a ‘John Barnes & Kenny Dalglish’ mark 2.0 polished turd, wrapped up in a Man City flag, in the form of a dual act in ‘Fergal Harkin’ (New Director Of Football) and ‘Enzo Maresca’ (New Celtic Manager). Yes, we’re looking for the cheap options once AGAIN, which Desmond & Co are hoping that Celtic’s media and PR departments can dress up and spin it as positive moves towards modernisation, when really, it’s just another ruse to milk the pockets of th Celtic fans in order to hoard money.

Basically, when we so desperately need to hit the ground running next year with the ‘Champions League’ (for financial reasons) or risk falling further behind the ‘Govan Globetrotters’, Desmond appears to be opting to take two men in ‘Fergal Harkin’ and ‘Enzo Maresca’ and place them both in very demanding, highly stressful positions of which they literally have NO experience in.

Desmond is literally saying to SEVCO “There You Go Lads, While We Are Busy F%£K53G Around As Usual, Trying To Pretend / Masquerading As A Club Which Is Evolving Into A Progressive Modern Team, Yous Will Have Free Reign At The League And Champions League And All The Financial Rewards That Come With It For The Next Few Years

“Side Note”… (The Pals Act Sh%t-Show Continues Under A New Deguise) In a deceiving manner ‘Enzo Maresca’ managerial title will be changed to ‘Head Coach’, so what we COULD be looking at, is, John Kennedy as the unofficially Manager with ‘Enzo Maresca’ as his head coach. Celtic will be used as Manchester City’s Unofficially Youth Academy by using both ‘Harkin’ and ‘Maresca’ and their connection to Man City through Lawwells Son, to flood the ranks of the first team with the best of Man Citys ‘Journey Men’ and ‘Ones For The Future’, while Ignoring our own reserves team.

2 Likes

I feel we have to take our time and get this one exactly right big names don’t always mean good end results the same as celtic minded managers don’t always mean good results as has been shown many a time we need a intelligent man a fair man I don’t think big overhalls are needed I do believe we have quality at cp if we can get a manager who knows when to put a arm round a player and when to kick his arse cos both styles are needed another things have to be done to the fitness of the team some are over weight and out of shape so a change in diet and a daily routine for each player suited to there individual needs is a must a good manager will take care of all of these issues and in turn make the most of the skill that they players have boost there confidance healthy body healthy mind lenny didn’t learn from his last term were Ronnie had to change these things after lenny left and called players weight and fitness a joke lenny though keep them happy by allowing them to eat and drink what they want all you get is players who’s fitness levals drop and who end up loosing confidance in their self’s and the manager they also pick up very niggly little injuries cos proper warm ups aren’t done before and after training and games so let’s take our time a director of football is a great way to go someone to move between the board the scout and the coach allowing the head coach to focus fully on the team and tactics and fitness levals a top dietitian to work closely with the team to all these things are going to make the best of the team in the long term