Report: Celtic have been in contact on Jota deal for extended period

Originally published at: Celtic have been in contact over a move for Jota for some time, report says

Celtic have been in contact with Benfica over a permanent move for Jota for an extended period of time, according to Football Scotland. Hoops fans are still waiting anxiously to see if the Portuguese youth talent will commit to Celtic Park on a permanent basis. It had been reported by the media in Portugal that…

3 Likes

I’ve said it previously David ,I think the trip to Anfield was a key moment in his decision making progress because after he returned from that game his form dipped for a few games and then it peaked to high levels again.
One key moment I feel was in one of the latter games he was tracking back in the last 10 minutes of the game when we were cruising.
This tells me anyway his mains was made up and he’s going to give his all for Celtic.

2 Likes

Anfield? When did that happen?

Wee link to a previous post bud

1 Like

Makes A LOT more sense. Thanks.

I thought you meant he went there this year. Appreciate the clarification.

That game was on April 13th 2022 bud :+1:t3:
This was around the time his form dipped for us and I think he went there to see if the emotional pull was stronger to go back to Benfica was stronger than the rational pull to stay and further his development at Celtic.
I also think Champions League has sealed it for both him and CCV .
You don’t get a bigger shop window in Club Football.

3 Likes

For both players it’s a no brainer if they’re objective is to develop as players, it’s Celtic; if it’s money only it’s probably elsewhere. But where are they going to get the chances for glory and adulation like they have experienced this season ?
Oh and lest we forget CCV is back the USA squad because he’s at Celtic, playing regularly and in European competitions.

Hail Hail

2 Likes

Getting back to the US team was CCV’s main goal I believe, with a view to go to the World Cup.

He’s realized that goal & probably thinking “what other goals can I achieve here”?
CL footy is gonna happen, collecting more winners medals is likely gonna happen, improving under a quality manager is likely gonna happen (I doubt he’ll go backwards in his development under AP).

The adoration is of course gravy.

Jota seems like a smart lad, he seems to love the fans & love the fact that he knows he can tear most Scottish defenses to shreds pretty much most of the time.

2 Likes

I think his father advised him to go to Anfield to gauge how strong the pull was from a perspective of being at Celtic getting game time (and the adulation of the Support) and watching Benfica from the sidelines.
Career wise he wasn’t going anywhere fast at Benfica but at Celtic things are accelerating nicely development wise.
He could well have 6 Champions League games under his belt by Christmas against some of the top sides in Europe.
I think it’s a no brainer provided the wages and terms are met.
Desmond and Co know signing him for £6.5m is like printing £15-20m the same day.

1 Like

You should have a chat with CCV as I enjoyed your Celtic sales pitch in your post! You are quite right about the benefits of choosing Celtic over the rest and I hope CCV sees it that way too. One word of caution though, Calvin Bassey is reportedly attracting interest from EPL clubs such as Aston Villa who are allegedly prepared to offer £20m for his services. I see a few similarities between CCV and Bassey in terms of their strength and dominance in the back line, so I’m not sure it will be as easy as the Jota deal to get over the line but I really hope I’m wrong of course!

The Champions League pull is massive for attracting players to the club and the fact we’re straight into the group changes is even bigger. I just hope we do get our signings in early as we’ve seen this board down the years wait to see if we get there instead of making sure we got there. It has said that the board backed Ange last season and they should be commended for that but we’ve all seen their fear of spending money. My old gaffer used to say fail to prepare, prepare to fail and we’ve seen this board leaving us grossly unprepared plenty of times over the last twenty years and beyond. I think both players will sign but I feel CCV is the more important of the two, I love Jota but if we didn’t get Cameron it’s an American fridge (see what I did there) size of a hole in our defence. This team is good but it’s got the potential to be great and one or two more signings could get us there. Ange has been a revelation and none of us saw coming what transpired during the season gone by, this board got so lucky that he’s been so good because he was a panic appointment and nobody will convince me otherwise. The first two transfer window’s have been a success but there’s still the unseen hand who thinks they know a player as McCarthy and the two Sheffield Wednesday boys prove. Ange was born to manage this club and I feel we’re in safe hands with him at the rudder but he shouldn’t have players foisted on him by our absentee landlord.

2 Likes

F*ck me I read this morning "why WBA must sign CCV surely he wouldn’t sign for a no mark club like west brom? Bad enough everton and fulham come on celtic stsrt acting lije a big club

1 Like

Jota signing a permanent deal for an extended period of time!! What does that actually mean?

Yes, that baffled me as well when I read it.
Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means?

It means we are no wiser and won’t be until the deal is done, or not done! But that’s showbusiness folks.

1 Like