The silly season has well and truly arrived

A number of players have been linked with Celtic since the window opened, including Caoimhin Kelleher, Ugurcan Cakir, Anthony Patterson, Michael Zetterer, Tom Glover, Martin Dubravka, Dominik Livakovic, and every other player on the planet, irrespective of how much they would cost and what their wages demands would be.
And according to FootballFanCast, Celtic are serious competition for £25m forward.
I don’t know what planet these websites are living on, but it’s certainly not our planet.
Celtic are never going to pay £25m for a player, or anywhere near that figure, and that includes goalkeepers.
We just do not have the finances to compete in that market.
We do need a top-class stopper but the price would have to be below the £10m mark, that’s for sure.
We also need to add 2 or 3 more to the team but as things stand, we need to clear out the deadwood first.
The last thing we can afford to do is to continue paying huge wages to bit part player.
In my opinion we have at least 4 if not 5 players we need to move on ASAP.
Then we can bring in ready to go players who can help us compete and do well in the Champions league as well as our domestic league and cups.

We won’t have much of a chance next season anyway after all the “world class” players TRIFC 2012 are signing. Without even kicking a ball they have a few worth £20-30 million.

Back to focussing on reality! Celtic’s progress to improving our squad for better showings mainly in Europe.

In terms of that, the obvious one for us is a new keeper. Thinking they’d look to put out £5 million tops on that?

A new centre half, Left back, centre mid (should O’Riley go) and striker would make me happy. Think we’re going to have to wait to get guys in though as most of the quality players from Europe are busy with international duty. I’d happily wait for upgraded quality if we have to.

With Oh almost gone and Siegrest making his way out, I feel we have to push on Welsh, Kobiyashi, Lagerbeik, Nawrocki, Yang, Mikey Johnston, Holm, McCarthy, Kuhn, Bernabei and Haksabanovic

1 Like

Great call on who should go. Id like to think Bosun Lawell could fit into midfield and Vata into a striker role. I mentioned similar last week and comments suggested they were too young? Well ask Spain who played a 16 year old and Englands Bellingham is only 20 dont be scared to play these youngsters We ALready have. Could save us a fortune or allow us to pay more for an experienced striker as well

2 Likes

Hopefully these Shankland to Celtic stories are rubbish just to try and get TRIFC 2012 to actually move for the guy?

Although it would be funny to do another Scott Allan to our newest Glasgow rivals, I feel Shankland (like Scales, Taylor and Ralston) is a decent SPFL player but would get frustratingly found out in Europe.

We need to be investing in quality if we want to start giving fans bang for their hard earned bucks and not be sucked into buying players to see us just get by in a poor domestic division.

JeemoBhoy, as regarding moving players on, have you noticed how well Khun and Johnston have played in the last few games.
As far as Khun goes, he has publicly admitted that when he arrived At Celtic he wasn’t feeling well, mainly through having a bad dental infection, which affected not only his health but also his weight. But now he feels great and that is now showing, not only in his play but also in his demeanour.
Mikey Johnston as far as I’m concerned is a slight dilemma, he’s a player that could do very well for us in the domestic league.
In the last few games he has played really well, I think maybe he hasn’t been given enough run-outs. I know he has been out on loan and has just come back, but personally I think he needs some game time to show his true colours.
I think he could become a good team player.
Furthermore, I freely admit that my opinion has changed on Mikey Johnston because of how well he played in pre-season.
Well, that’s my thoughts, what do you think?

Kuhn last season didn’t show enough for me to get in the first 11 in front of Maeda or Forrest (laterally) in my opinion. Hopefully the time he’s now had with the squad, he understands the game plan and is looking to use his qualities to nail down a regular start. I feel his pace is a major asset for him so if he can start adding goals to his game, it’d be nice to see him reach the same dangerous level Liel Abada did.

Mikey Johnston is a player you’ll get a different opinion on from every single Celtic fan in the world I think. There’s no doubt, physically, there’s a player there but I think his issues are more psychological. I say that in that I feel he overthinks what he has to do for us, especially in the Parkhead environment. Away from home, equally there’s pressure to win (we are Celtic!), he has done his best work for us when given a chance in recent times. Look at the player he showed up to be when away from the pressures of Celtic when he got his loan deal. If he’d scored that many, some peaches too, goals for us in the whole of last season and contributed in the manner he did for West Brom he’d be thought of as far more of an asset to most fans of our club. You can only send a guy out so many times to try and develop him. If he keeps coming back and crumbling after positive spells, he needs to be honest with himself and move on to less pressure to enjoy the game he evidently loves. My opinion only though.

1 Like

Very interesting post Jeemo, Definitely food for thought.